If you don't like Christmas pudding, then this is a great alternative festive dessert for you.
- finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 175 g chestnut puree
- 40 g caster sugar, for the meringue
- pinch cream of tartar
- 15 g good quality cocoa powder
- 15 g arrowroot
- 1 tsp mixed spice
For the filling
- 284 ml lightly whipped double cream, (½ pint) Elmlea or suitable freezer proof one
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, level
- 6 tbsp icing sugar, level
- 2 large meringues, roughly broken into small pieces
- 75 g extra bitter chocolate, melted
- 40 g soft butter for greasing, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C, Gas 6.
- Line a 21cm x 30cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment and brush well with melted butter.
- Separate the eggs, place the yolks in a mixing machine with the caster sugar, orange zest and whisk at high speed until very thick; this will take about 15 minutes.
- Add the chestnut puree and whisk again to incorporate well; finally, fold in the arrowroot, cocoa powder and mixed spice.
- Whisk the egg white and cream of tartar on a medium speed or by hand until not too thick but foamy.
- Add the 40gs of caster sugar and whisk again, just to incorporate. The meringue must be soft and silky, not too stiff.
- Carefully fold the two together and spoon into the prepared Swiss roll tray. This amount of mixture will fit exactly into the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until springy to the touch and well risen.
- Turn out onto lightly sugared baking parchment to cool.
- To finish, fold into the cream the cocoa powder, icing sugar and meringues together.
- Spoon onto the sponge and carefully roll up Swiss roll style using the parchment. If the roulade splits slightly, don't worry; it is all part of this unique cake.
- Freeze on a cling film lined baking tray, then cover with cling film.
- Defrost, best overnight in the fridge.
- Carefully transfer to a long plate and chill well.
- Just before serving, drizzle with the melted chocolate and dust with icing sugar.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket