I like sausage rolls when they are not soggy, fatty and undercooked. So here is a recipe you can depend upon
For the Pastry
- 500 g ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
For the Filling
- 500 g good quality sausage meat, not too fatty, say 15-20% is perfect
- 75 g finely chopped dried apricots, finely chopped
- 75 g finely chopped medjool dates
- 100 g chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the filling together well and set aside.
- Place the sheets of pastry on a board and cut 5cm wide strips. Then brush the strips well with the beaten egg.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the sausage meat mix onto the strips, slightly to one side. Fold over the pastry and seal the edge well. Brush again with beaten egg, then chill well.
- Cut into small rolls and cook until browned, crisp and cooked through.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket