A nice easy soup, that will freeze easily and can be made well in advance.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1.4 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped but fairly small
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped the same size as the sweet potatoes
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 10 g vegetable stock cube
- 2 litre cold water
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 pack part-baked rolls, cut into 8-12 slices
- 150 g West Country Cheddar, grated
- 4 tbsp mango chutney, heaped
- Heat the oil, then add the onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes to give a little colour.
- Next, add the potatoes, apples, stock and water, and bring to a boil. Season well with salt and pepper, then turn down the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and soft, mash roughly with a potato masher until you have a thickish chunky puree. This will thicken considerably.
- Add the cream and mango chutney. Check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
- Meanwhile, cut the rolls into diagonal slices and toast on one side.
- Turn over and sprinkle generously with the grated cheese. Return to the grill until the cheese melts.
- Serve the soup in deep bowls with two cheddar croutons on top.
- This soup will freeze well without the cream. Defrost, boil, then add the cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket