- 5.4 kg 12 lb turkey
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves
- 5 litre cheap cider
- 4 10g chicken stock cubes
- 8 heads star anise
- 4 tbsp black peppercorns
- 8 bay leaves
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 tbsp mustard seeds
- 250 g runny honey
- 450 g dark brown sugar
- 300 g salt
- 6 Satsuma's
- 1 Satsuma juice
- Blitz together the onions, garlic and some of the cider until you have a smooth paste.
- Pour into a large saucepan, and then add the rest of the cider, spices, herbs, stock cubes.
- Stir to the boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and add the sugar, Satsuma juice, salt, honey and dissolve, probably take 15 minutes, and then cool.
- When cool, place the turkey into the brine with the Satsumas.
- Place a large plate on top, weighted down to keep the bird in the brine.
- Chill well for 12 hours, at the most 24.
- When ready to cook, set the bbq to indirect heat, 150C 300F, then place the bird on a tray at the other end, away from the heat, cover, and cook for 4-5 hours, basting occasionally.
- You must keep the heat constant, 150C 300F opening the lid only when you need to.
- You will end up with a beautifully moist, cooked, delicious turkey.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket