- 1 tbsp heaped cornflour, may need an extra ½ tbsp
- 4 large lemons, juice and finely grated zest
- 150 ml cold water or lemon barley water
- 150 g caster sugar
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 4 medium egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g sieved icing sugar
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 220 C, gas 7.
- Mix the cornflour, lemon juice, zest, lemon barley water together, add the sugar, place over low heat and cook until thickened and just simmered.
- Remove from the heat, leave to stand for 1 minute and stir in the egg yolks quickly.
- Pour into the flan ring and leave to set.
- Meanwhile, make the meringue, place the egg whites into a mixing bowl and add the cream of tartar.
- Whisk on a medium speed until thick and foamy, add the caster sugar turn up the speed to ¾ strength and whisk until shiny and thick. Do not over whip.
- Finally, fold in the icing sugar carefully.
- Pipe onto the set lemon mixture, dust with a little granulated sugar and pop into the oven to brown.
- This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Cool and cut into large wedges, serve with thick double cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket