- 55 g unsalted butter, soft
- 50 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, finely crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- 400 g crab meat, approx.
- 165 g can sweetcorn, well drained
- 1 tsp anchovy essence (optional)
- Heat the milk, mix the soft butter and flour together really well
- When the milk is just boiling, whisk in the flour and butter mix really well.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic, and cook over low heat until softened but not browned.
- Then add the tarragon and season with chilli powder and stir in.
- Add the crabmeat to the white sauce with the sweetcorn, onion mixture and anchovy essence, if using, and season.
- Spoon the mixture into baking dishes and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread under a preheated grill on both sides until golden brown. Cut off the crusts using a bread knife cut horizontally through each slice of toast to give two thin pieces.
- Cool slightly rub the uncooked sides of the toast together to remove any doughy soggy crumbs.
- Cut each slice in half diagonally and reduce the grill's heat. Toast the uncooked sides of the bread till golden, crispy and crunchy.
- Preheat the oven to 200C Gas 6.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and grated cheese over the crab mixture in the dishes and cook in the oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through and the cheese has melted and nicely browned.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket