For the cream of chicken soup:
- 4 chicken thighs, bone in and skin off
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek, washed well and finely chopped
- 200 g white button mushrooms, washed well and sliced
- 700-800 ml water
- 300 ml milk
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 35 g salted soft butter
- 30 g plain flour
- salt and ground pepper
For the ham and mustard toastie:
- 200 g good quality cooked ham, cut into very small pieces
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp seed mustard, heaped
- 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs, heaped
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 slices thick white bread, crust on
To make the chicken soup
- Place the chicken thighs, onions, leeks, mushrooms, water, milk, and stock cubes into a pan. Season with a little salt and pepper and bring to a simmer, then cook for 20 minutes.
- Add a dash of pepper and salt, boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cooked thighs and the bone, then chop the chicken into very small pieces.
- Place the stock back onto the heat, mix the flour and softened butter and whisk into the soup, then bring to a simmer to thicken.
- Once thickened, liquidise until you have a fine puree. Pour back into a saucepan with the cooked chicken pieces, reheat and season if needed. The cream can be added as an optional extra.
To make the ham and mustard toastie
- Place the ham, mayo, mustard, breadcrumbs and egg yolks into a bowl and mix well
- Preheat a grill to medium heat and toast the bread on both sides.
- Pile the ham mix onto one side, making a nice dome in the middle and pop it under the grill until you have a nice glaze - take your time, so it glazes, sets and does not burn all at the same time.
- Cut into diagonal slices and serve with the soup.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket