- 2 kg belly pork, boned but skin on
- 4 tbsp salt, roughly
- 2 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed really well
- 800 ml sunflower oil, approx.
For the Gherkin Dressing
- 8 tbsp mayonnaise
- 6 large gherkins, finely chopped
- ½ small onion, very finely chopped
- 4 tbsp parsley, chopped
- ½ large lemon juice of
- Rub the salt over the pork, add the crushed garlic and thyme, rub in well. Place the pork into a glass or porcelain dish, cover and leave overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 160C, Gas Mark 3. Wash the salt off and place it into a small deep baking tray, just big enough to fit the pork. Gently heat the oil and pour carefully pour over the pork so that it is submerged.
- Cover and place the tray carefully into the oven for about 2 hours or until a knife can pass through easily. The meat should be very soft, almost difficult to pick up but not stringy and overcooked. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Lift out the cooked pork, place onto a flat tray skin side down and cover with cling film. Press with another tray and chill well.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 220C gas 7.
- Cut the pork into 6-8 perfect squares, trim off any ragged edges.
- Place skin side down into a hot, dry non-stick ovenproof frying pan and cook until the skin begins to crackle.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 15 mins until heated through.
- Meanwhile, place the mayo, gherkins, onions and parsley together into a bowl mix really well.
- Add the lemon juice and plenty of ground black pepper.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket