I am very happy to have teamed up with Daura Damm Gluten-Free Beer and have created this Gluten-Free recipe that is a perfect partner to their Gluten-Free Beer.
- 75 olive oil
- 1 red onion, very finely chopped
- 9 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 60 g soft brown sugar
- juice of 4 limes
- freshly milled black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika, heaped
For the batter
- 100 g fine white rice flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50 g fine polenta flour
- 50 g chickpea flour
- 35 g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder, level
- 1 tsp xanthan gum, level
- 500 ml Gluten-Free beer
- cornflour, for dusting the item to be cooked
- 20 large sea water prawns, peeled and de veined
- Heat the oil, and add the onion, chilli, garlic and cook for 10 minutes to soften well.
- Next, add the sugar, lime juice, salt and pepper, turn down the heat and reduce the total volume of the liquid and onions by roughly half.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and add the paprika and really mix well.
- Taste the sauce and adjust if you think you have to. It should have a nice balance of sweet and sour.
- Next, heat a deep fryer to 175-180C.
- Mix the flours, baking powder and gum really well.
- Add enough beer gradually and stir together to make a smooth, thickish batter.
- Dry the prawns very well with kitchen towel, dust well with cornflour before dipping in the batter. Once cooked drain really well on kitchen paper.
- The batter will stay frothy and light for a good hour.
- Serve the prawns with the dipping sauce separately.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket