- 500 g trimmed sprouts
- iced water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250 g vac pac chestnuts, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp redcurrant jelly, heaped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crisscross the bottom of the trimmed sprouts halfway into the sprout (this ensures the sprouts cook right through)
- Place in iced water and leave overnight in the fridge if you can.
- The next day drain the sprouts really well. Spin in a salad spinner in 2 or 3 batches. You need to get as much water out as possible. Then pat with kitchen towel.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil, add the shallots, garlic and chestnuts and cook over moderate heat to take on some nice colour. Add the vinegar, jelly, salt and pepper. Cook until the jelly is melted.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 175C. Carefully fry the sprouts in 4 batches making sure you take care.
- Once nicely browned and cooked through drain well.
- Once all the sprouts are cooked, season well with salt and pepper. Add the dressing and fold through. Serve warm.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket