Chocolate mousse is an indulgent and delicious dessert that's surprisingly easy to make. The key to a good mousse is the texture - it should be light, airy and velvety smooth. Start by melting dark chocolate and whipping heavy cream separately. Then, gently fold the two together until the mixture is perfectly combined. You can add a splash of espresso or liqueur for a richer flavour. Chill the mousse in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving to allow it to set. Finally, garnish with fresh berries or whipped cream for an extra touch of decadence.
- 350 g 70% bitter chocolate, broken into small pieces and melted
- 2 whole medium eggs
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 550 ml whipping cream, lightly whipped
- 225 ml whipping cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- cocoa powder or drinking chocolate
- chocolate scrolls or shortbread
- Whip the egg yolks and whole eggs over a pan of gently simmering water until thick and cooked, about 15 minutes. No need to go mad; just get some volume.
- Remove from the pan and whisk for a couple of minutes.
- The melted chocolate needs to be warm but not too hot.
- This is the crucial stage; pour the whisked egg mixture into the hot melted chocolate and whisk well and very quickly; you can be quite brutal here.
- The mixture will look like it is starting to split but persevere, then when the mix is half incorporated, add half the cream again quickly and whisk well.
- The reason you have to be a bit sharpish here is the temperature of the cold cream will set the chocolate and egg very quickly indeed,
- You should end up with a very smooth texture, panic over, and finally whisk in the rest of the cream.
- Pour or spoon into a bowl or individual glasses, leaving a 2cm gap, cover and chill overnight.
- Lightly whisk the whipping cream with the vanilla and icing sugar.
- Spoon onto the glasses and smooth off with a pallet knife leaving it perfectly flat.
- Dust with cocoa or drinking chocolate and serve with chocolate scrolls and shortbread.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
Easy Chocolate Mousse
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.