This is comfort food at its very best. Easy Mince Hotpot is perfect for when there's a chill in the air, and the family need something hot, nourishing and full of taste.
- 500 g premium lean steak mince
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 200 g mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 pot of fresh basil, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp beef gravy granules
- 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp brown sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
For the Cobbler (12-14 small scones)
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp dried oregano, heaped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6.
- Heat the 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a 25cm x 20cm deep casserole dish.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook over high heat for 10 minutes to get heat into the dish.
- Add the mince, break it up well and cook until it changes from red to fawn colour.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, granules, brown sauce, mix really well, and then simmer slowly for 20 minutes.
- Top with the mini cobblers, turn the heat down until it's at its lowest setting.
- Cover and warm the topping through for about 10 minutes.
For the Cobbler Topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C, gas mark 7.
- Rub the butter and salt into the flour lightly.
- Add the oregano.
- Add the egg, mustard and half the milk and mix very lightly until you have a soft dough, do not overwork. Add a little extra milk if needed.
- Roll out carefully until the dough is 1cm thick.
- Cut out with a small plain cutter and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with a little milk and a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Cook in the preheated oven until well risen and golden, about 10-12 minutes.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket