This is a sauce designed for lamb and a great alternative or addition to traditional mint sauce.
- 75 ml white wine vinegar
- 75 ml water
- 8 sprigs fresh mint, stalks chopped, leaves roughly chopped, but not too large
- 0.5 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- 200 g unsalted butter, melted
- 6 medium free-range egg yolks
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Place the vinegar, wine, pepper and mint stalks into a pan and bring to a boil.
- Boil rapidly until the liquid has reduced by half to 3/4, then strain.
- Add the reduced liquid back to the pan, add the butter again, and bring to a rolling boil.
- Place the egg yolks in a liquidiser and blitz for 10 seconds to break up.
- Gradually and carefully add half the boiling vinegar and butter mixture(this is really important, or the yolks will not thicken) into the liquidiser (not a food processor) in a thin stream on full speed, through the lid.
- Re-boil the pan and pour the rest onto the eggs.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan, stir well, taste the sauce, and adjust the seasoning. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, salt, and chopped mint leaves, cover and leave for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, uncover stir well. You may need to add a little water if too thick.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket