All the rage in the southern states, I first had these in North Carolina some years ago. They are a nice way to use up the green tomatoes leftover in the autumn. This recipe was given to me by my great friend Richard Delany.
- 254 buttermilk
- 150 g fine polenta/masa
- 150 g self-raising flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- 0.25 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 medium green tomatoes, cut into 0.5 cm slices lengthways
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g unsalted butter
- Place the buttermilk into a small bowl.
- Place the polenta, flour and a good pinch of salt, pepper and chilli into another bowl.
- Place the tomatoes into the flour mix, then into the milk, then back into the flour mix, coating really well.
- Once they are all coated, heat the oil and butter in a shallow frying pan.
- Add the tomato cakes and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and sprinkle with salt and serve hot.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket