For this recipe to get deep colour and flavour, it is essential that you use frozen blueberries. You don't get that deep colour if you use fresh berries and puree them. Blackberries, raspberries and blackcurrants are far nicer in colour and flavour if you freeze and defrost. Then cells of the fruit break down when defrosting, and you get a superb dark-coloured juice. So here is a light flan that looks stunning once cooked.
- 1 21cm x 11cm deep pudding dish
- 300 mls single cream
- 350 g fruits of the forest , or any red frozen fruit defrosted
- 75 g caster sugar
- 312 g jar of lemon curd
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 1 24cm x 4cm deep sweet pastry, use a frozen 500g block defrosted) flan baked blind and egged to seal
- zest 1 large lemon, finely grated
- 250 g frozen blueberries, defrosted
- Preheat the oven to 160C gas 3.
- Heat cream until just boiling, then remove from the stove.
- Place the defrosted blueberries, half jar lemon curd and caster sugar into a liquidiser, and blitz 'til smooth, then pour into a bowl.
- Add the egg yolks, whole egg, and cornflour into a bowl and just bring them together.
- Finally, the warm cream and just bring it together.
- Carefully pour into the cooked pastry shell and bake in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes or until just set.
- Remove and chill well; overnight is best.
- When ready to serve, mix the defrosted blueberries with the rest of the jar of lemon curd and zest.
- Spoon over the tart cut and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket