For the topping
- soft butter for greasing
- 4 tbsp cherry jam, heaped
- 600 g large cherries, pitted
For the sponge
- 220 g soft salted butter
- 220 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 medium free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 120 g ground almonds
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 300 ml double cream, lightly whipped
- vanilla extract
- icing sugar to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160C Gas 3.
- Line a 23cm round springform tin with baking parchment, making sure the parchment comes up the side of the tin by about 3cm (this holds in the juice as the cake cooks) Lightly butter the parchment paper.
- Spoon the jam over the bottom of the tin, then add the cherries in an even layer.
- To make the sponge, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together well for 2-3 minutes; no need to go mad. Next, beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Gently mix in the almonds and flour, then spoon the mixture over the cherries and the jam, nice and evenly.
- Place the tin on a baking tray, just in case you get a leak, and bake for 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven, and leave the cake to set for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully remove the outside ring and invert it onto a large plate.
- Serve at room temperature with sweetened vanilla cream.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket