German mulled wine or Glühwein (meaning 'glow wine') is a traditional German drink you will be familiar with from ski resorts or Christmas Markets. The secret to a great Glühwein is the right balance of red wine, cinnamon sugar, oranges and cloves.
- 2 bottles of good quality but inexpensive red wine
- 2 cups of water
- 75 g sugar, (to taste)
- 6 cloves
- star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 oranges, cut into bite-size pieces
- oranges for decoration
- ½ cup Rum (optional)
- In a medium-size saucepan, mix the water, sugar, cinnamon, star anise and cloves. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly, then reduce heat and continue to simmer.
- Cut the oranges in half and squeeze the juice into the pot. Place cloves into the orange peel and drop into the mixture. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken like syrup.
- Pour in the wine and rum (if using) and stir, heating gradually until steaming. DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove oranges, cloves and cinnamon sticks before serving it into lightly pre-warmed glasses. Decorate glasses with an orange slice.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket