- 300 g gooseberries, top and tailed
- 100 g caster sugar
- 300 ml double cream
- 300 ml ready-made thick custard
- 2 medium egg whites, optional
- 2 individual meringues, or meringue nests
- 2½ tbsp elderflower cordial
- caster sugar, to taste
- Place the gooseberries in a pan with 50ml water and bring to a simmer.
- Add the sugar reduce the heat, and cook gently for about 15-20 minutes, or until the gooseberries have turned to a thick, chunky puree. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk the cream until it is softly whipped and light and fluffy.
- If using, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, do not overwhip
- Crush the meringues into small pieces.
- Place ¾ of the gooseberry puree in a bowl, add the whipped cream and custard fold in, then add the elderflower cordial to taste.
- Finally, fold in the egg whites if using and crushed meringues.
- Spoon the fool into glasses and serve a little of the stewed gooseberries on top and shortbread fingers.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket