- 200 g young English asparagus tips
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and chopped as finely as possible
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, freshly milled
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 75 g fresh, shaved Parmesan
- The first step is to make the dressing, its best left overnight so the flavours can soften and blend together, to prove what I mean, once you have finished the dressing taste it, and then taste it the next day, the difference is amazing
- Put the mustard and vinegar in a bowl and whisk; add a pinch of sugar, salt and a couple of twists of the pepper mill. Then gradually add the olive oil in a steady stream, so the whole dressing emulsifies and thickens; add the cold water. You should end up with a sauce-like consistency, check the seasoning and adjust if needed. I rather like my dressing to be quite sharp and tangy. Leave to soften.
- Next, warm up the griddle pan, but not too hot, brush the asparagus spears with olive oil and place in the pan, season well with salt and pepper, cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, turning occasionally, the outside skin will slightly char and blister, when cooked arrange on a large plate and drizzle over the dressing and top with the Parmesan shavings, serve warm with plenty of crusty bread.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket