- 300 g soft salted butter
- 300 g caster sugar
- 5 medium free-range eggs, beaten well
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the Butter Cream
- 175 g icing sugar
- 75 g soft salted butter
- 2 tsp water
- 4 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 750 g nude coloured fondant icing
- Preheat the oven to 130C Fan / 150C / Gas 2. Grease a 2 litre oven proof bowl.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla essence then fold in the flour. Spoon into the greased bowl.
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour 15 mins to 1hour 30 mins, covering the top of the bowl with foil after 30 minutes.
- To test whether the cake is fully cooked, push a skewer into the centre of the cake and check that it comes out clean, if not, cook for another 10 minutes before testing again.
- Leave the cake in the bowl for 15 minutes before carefully turning out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the butter cream by gradually whisking the icing sugar into the butter and water.
- Shape the cake into a slight oval shape by slicing a little off two opposing sides, then shape the top and edges. Using a sharp knife, make a narrow channel running from front to back of the cake.
- Place the jam into a culinary syringe, or piping bag fitted with a filling nozzle. Using a chopstick make random deep holes all around the cake, then use the syringe or nozzle to fill the holes with jam.
- Spoon a small amount of butter cream in the centre of a cake board and sit the cake on top. Use the rest of the butter cream to coat the entire cake.
- Take a small piece of fondant icing and roll to make a rope, about 8mm in diameter. Place on the cake, coiling it to cover a small area. Repeat with the remaining icing until the cake is completely covered.
- Brush the redcurrant jelly all over the cake to glaze.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket