I cooked this especially for Mr Redknapp when he came onto ITV's This Morning programme. Having won I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, that was the food he missed the most while in the jungle, apparently. He liked the pudding very much! If you have any leftover roll, wrap it in cling film and chill in the fridge. When needed, slice while cold and warm gently in a microwave on medium power; take care, as the jam could burn.
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 100 g vegetarian suet
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 150 g reduced-sugar blackcurrant jam
- butter, for greasing
For the custard
- 568 ml skimmed milk
- 4 tbsp custard powder, heaped
- ¾ tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C Gas 5.
- Place the flour, suet, sugar and egg into a bowl and mix well. Add a touch of cold water and mix to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Roll out the pastry until it measures about 30 to 40cm, spread over the jam thickly. There is nothing worse than an under-filled roll. Roll up lightly, not too tight, cut in half, so you end up with two manageable rolls.
- Tear off two pieces of foil, each roughly 30 - 40cm. Butter really well, then carefully place each pastry roll on top. Roll loosely around the pastry (it will expand when baking), then twist up the ends of each roll.
- Scrunch up a large piece of foil and place it in a baking tray. Place the rolls on top, making sure they do not touch the tray. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, turning the rolls after 20 minutes. This ensures an even cook and colour at the end.
- To test the roly polys are done, gently squeeze. They should be full and firm. If not, then bake for a few more minutes. Once cooked, carefully remove from the oven and leave the rolls to set.
- Meanwhile, make the custard by mixing roughly 100ml of the milk with the custard powder. Put the rest of the milk in a pan and bring to a boil. Quickly whisk in the custard milk mixture and bring back to simmer and thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar to taste.
- Open up the foil roll and slice the roly poly.
- Serve with hot custard.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
Harry Redknapp's Roly Poly
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.