- 4 medium egg whites, (130g) at room temperature
- pinch cream of tartar
- 260 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cans pears well drained, sliced lengthways or poach your own
- 150 g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp honey
- 750 double cream
- Pre heat the oven to 120C, Gas ½.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl and whisk until light and foamy.
- Add half the sugar and whisk well on 3/4 speed until thick and glossy but not overbeaten. If you over whisk, the meringue will become dull and firm.
- Add the rest of the sugar and just bring together, for approx 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the machine, fold in the cornflour, vanilla and vinegar, mix well.
- Spread into a Swiss Roll tin 37cm x 27cm lined with baking parchment and place into the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Then remove from the oven and cool slightly, then cut into 3 even-sized pieces, cool.
- Toast the pecans gently when they are nicely browned. Pop into a bowl and add the honey, then mix well.
- Whisk the double cream and vanilla, do not over whip.
- Quickly spread half over one of the meringues. Arrange the sliced pears on top of the cream
- Sprinkle over a little of the pecan nuts and drizzle with a little caramel sauce.
- Then top with a second piece, and repeat and then finally the last layer of meringue.
- Press down with a cooling rack (this keeps it even)
- Decorate the top with piped cream, slices of pear and whole toasted pecans. Dust generously with icing sugar.
- Just before serving, drizzle over a little sauce and dust well with icing sugar.
- Slice and serve with extra sauce
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket