- 650 g strong white flour
- pinch salt
- 50 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 10 g dried yeast, (1½ packets) of 7g sachet
- 60 g sultanas
- 85 g melted salted butter
- 300 ml warm full cream milk
- 80 g plain flour
- 3 tbsp water
For the Glaze
- 150 g caster sugar
- 75 ml sugar
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- Place the flour, salt, sugar, spices and yeast into a bowl and mix.
- Add the fruit, peel and mix again.
- Add the melted butter and 3/4 of the milk, mix to a soft dough. Add more milk if needed. The dough must not be too dry (tight)
- Knead well for 2-3 minutes, then place in a warmed bowl cover with film and leave to prove until roughly double in size.
- Gently turn the dough out and just bring it together, do not knead vigorously.
- Cut 18-20 pieces and gently roll into a bun shape.
- Place on a baking tray equally and cover lightly with film and leave in a warm place. You want them to double in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Once proved, mix 80g plain flour with a little water to form a pipeable paste.
- Using a piping bag, go right across the buns in one direction, then the other way to form a cross.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until well risen and lightly browned.
- Boil the sugar, water and spice until thick and syrupy.
- Once the buns are cooked, remove them from the oven. Place on a wire rack with parchment underneath.
- Paint the hot glaze over the hot buns, leave to cool and set
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket