What could be better on a cold and frosty day than digging into a steaming bowl of lamb hot pot with a thick slice oif warm crusty bread to mop up all those juices? Perfect!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8 neck chops or stewing lamb
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp (heaped) tomato puree
- 2 small onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small leek, finely chopped and washed really well
- 1 small swede, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50 g barley
- 600 ml boiling water
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 100 g black pudding, roughly chopped (optional)
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/2cm pieces
- 3 tbsp melted butter, roughly
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180Gas 4.
- Heat the oil in a 25cm x 12cm deep saucepan, then add the lamb brown really well; this will take a few minutes, then remove.
- Add the flour and tomato puree to soak up any excess fat from the meat.
- Next, add the vegetables and barley stir well, then add the boiling water and sprinkle in the stock cube.
- Spoon out half the vegetables into a bowl. Top the other half of the vegetables with the lamb, sprinkle over the black pudding, then top with the rest of the vegetables.
- Lay on the sliced potatoes, overlapping slightly, and press down. Spoon over a little olive oil, then dust well with pepper.
- Place the lid on and place into the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour.
- At the 1 hour mark, remove the lid carefully, the potatoes will be cooked. Lightly brush the potatoes with oil or melted butter and return to the oven.
- Cook uncovered for a further 45-50 minutes. The potatoes will brown nicely.
- Serve with pickled red cabbage.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket