These are great snacks for children, but I also like to eat them with a nice glass of wine! You can add all sorts of flavourings to the corn mixture - cooked fish, pork or even tuna all work well.
- 15 g butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 125 ml milk
- 2 large sweetcorns, as fresh as possible
- a dash Worcestershire sauce
- dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 slices bread
- 2 slices cooked chicken, cut into small dice
- 6 slices Gruyere cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and cook slowly for a few minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well, then stir in the milk and bring back to the boil, stirring, to make a thick sauce.
- Simmer for 1 minute but do not allow it to catch and burn.
- Cut off the Sweetcorn from the husk by cutting the corn in half, then shaving down each side with a sharp knife.
- Add the corn to the sauce and the Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces, season well and cook for a further minute.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk and beat well, and allow to cool completely.
- Cover well with cling film, then chill.
- Preheat the grill and toast the bread on one side.
- Add the chicken to the cooled sauce, then spread over the uncooked side of the bread.
- Top with a slice of Gruyere cheese and put back under the grill until bubbling and browned.
- Cut into triangles and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket