Cornbread is a staple in America's deep south, and this is a tribute to that with a spicy twist. This recipe is gluten free too.
- 360 g Gluten-Free masa harina or fine cornmeal
- 25 g cornflour, arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 3 tsp Gluten-Free baking powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 25 g chopped fresh chives
- 25 g fresh jalapeno chillies, chopped
- 340 g tin sweetcorn drained
- 570 ml buttermilk
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180C / fan 160C / gas 4.
- Lightly grease a 33cm round x 5cm deep non-stick pizza pan or a similar sized tin.
- In a bowl, mix the masa harina, cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the cheese, chives, chillies and coriander and mix well.
- Blend the sweetcorn with the buttermilk. Add the eggs, but don‚t over mix, then add the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-45 minutes. Once well-risen and browned, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket