This super quick curry is perfect if you want something delicious and is faster and healthier than a takeaway.
- 1 medium egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp any starch, (heaped) cornflour, arrowroot etc. etc.
- freshly milled black pepper
- 3 medium chicken breasts, free of skin and cut into 1cm strips (Lean pork, turkey, venison and game such as pheasant also work well with this recipe)
- 1 large onion, peeled and FINELY chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, heaped, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped red chilli, heaped
- 8 ripe (good flavoured) fresh tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 10 g chicken stock cube
- juice of ½ lemon
- 20 g coriander, freshly chopped
- 3 tbsp low-fat natural thick yoghurt
- Whisk the egg white, starch and black pepper well, and then add the chicken, pork or turkey.
- Mix well and leave whilst you make the curry sauce.
- Place the onion, garlic, cardamom pods, mango chutney, coconut, ginger, chilli, tomatoes, tomato puree, turmeric, cumin and stock cube into a food processor and blitz to a nice paste.
- Bring a shallow pan of salted water to a boil.
- Once boiling, drop in the chicken pieces and stir to stop the starch from sticking, bring back to a simmer.
- Immediately lift out with a slotted spoon and place into a clean saucepan.
- Pour over the curry sauce, bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 12-14 minutes. Keep checking the curry as it may well cook in less time.
- Once cooked, check the seasoning and adjust if required. Stir in the lemon, coriander and yoghurt off the heat, serve with rice and raita.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket