Classic German treat which is now a firm Christmas favourite.
- 50 g dark soft brown sugar
- 125 g honey
- 30 g treacle
- 85 g butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp glycerine
- 225 g Gluten-Free Flour mix A
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder, level
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 pinch ground clove, optional
- 70 g ground almonds or hazelnuts
Glace icing for decoration:
- icing sugar & a few drops of water
- Heat the sugar, honey, treacle and butter in a heavy pan, stirring until almost at boiling point.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and the glycerine.
- Mix all the remaining dry ingredients thoroughly, make a well in the centre and gradually add the melted syrup.
- Work the mixture with a spoon until you have a firm yet pliable dough.
- Wrap in cling film, cool and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas 4. Adjust the temperature to 170C for a fan oven.
- Divide the dough into about 20 pieces. Using the palms of your hands, roll the dough into balls about 3cm wide.
- Place the dough balls onto lined baking sheets, leaving a little room to spread.
- Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool before decorating with thin icing to glaze.
- Store in an airtight container: the texture softens, and the flavour mellows even better after a day or so.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket