Macaroni Cheese is great, but here are a few variations to make your Mac 'n' Cheese really zing! Straight Macaroni Cheese - incredibly unctuous and rich. Pancetta & Roasted Corn super scrummy. Roasted Pepper & Garlic for that Mediterranean vibe Spiced Macaroni powerful flavours to melt your tastebuds
- 200 g dried macaroni
- 1 medium onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40 g butter, softened
- 30 g plain flour
- 275 milk
- 175 g grated Cornish Kern or strong Cheddar
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1 tbsp English mustard, level
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and made into crumbs
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling water until just cooked, then drain really well, add a tbsp oil to stop the pasta from sticking together.
- Warm the olive oil and add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. If making the spiced macaroni add the spices here and cookout with the onions
- Add the milk and stock cube bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, mix the butter and flour together to form a paste.
- Once the milk is boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer, whisk in the butter and flour mixture, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in 125g of the cheese and the cooked macaroni.
- Add a pinch or two of nutmeg, mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in your chosen additions if using.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the 50g grated Cheddar and the breadcrumbs brown under a hot grill or in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
Pancetta & Roasted Corn:
- 125g pancetta cubes, fried until crispy
- 2 corn on the cob, kernels removed and fried in a pan until golden
- 2 whole roasted peppers sliced (from a jar)
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, mashed into a paste
- 1 generous pinch of garam masala and turmeric
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander