- 200 g dried macaroni
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and very finely chopped
- 275 ml milk
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 40 g butter, softened
- 30 g plain flour
- 175 g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices bread
- 50 g butter
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling water, until just cooked, then drain well, add a tbsp oil to stop the pasta from sticking together
- Warm the olive oil and add the onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften
- Add the milk cube stock cube, then bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, mix the butter and flour together, to form a paste.
- Once the milk is boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer, whisk in the butter and flour mixture, and cook gently for 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in 125g of the cheese and the cooked macaroni.
- Add a pinch or two of nutmeg, mustard, pepper, salt and chopped basil.
- Spoon into an ovenproof dish, top with the 50g grated Cheddar and the breadcrumbs, then brown under a hot grill or in the oven for about 6-8 minutes.
- Or pack into a cling film lined 2lb oblong cake tin and chill well, best overnight.
- Slice thickly, then place between two slices of bread, buttered on the outside, then grill in a sandwich toaster or frying pan for 3-4 minutes on each side and serve.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket