This is my take on Huevos Rancheros and is a great way to spice up breakfast or brunch.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped finely
- 150 g chorizo, finely chopped
- 150 g pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 tbsp fresh mixed chilli, chopped (optional, if you like spice)
- 150 g mixed peppers, jarred and sliced
- 1 stock cube, any
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp any vinegar
- 400 g refried beans
- 400 g black beans, drained
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 4 eggs
- handful coriander for sprinkling
- chopped chilli (if using)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onions, chorizo and bacon and cook for 10 minutes to render slightly and take a good colour.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli (optional), stock cube, puree, water, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until reduced and nice and thick, then add the beans and peppers and warm through.
- Create 4 little circles in the mix for your eggs, then gently crack the eggs into the holes. Add in the chopped avocado and cover the pan with a lid and cook for a further 5-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your preference. Alternatively, remove the lid and bake/grill in the oven at 200C/gas 6 for 5-8 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle on the coriander and season well. Add on some chopped chillies if liked.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket