There are numerous ways of making mince pies - in patty tins, on baking sheets. The pastry can be shortbread, shortcrust or even puff pastry. My favourite method and, I think, the most delicious is using patty tins and the pastry recipe below - they're crumbly, buttery, and a perfect treat for teatime on Boxing Day.
- 400 g luxury mincemeat
- 1 orange, zest
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100 g ground almonds
- 50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Pastry
- 350 g plain flour
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 pinch grated nutmeg
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ egg shell of cold water, approx
- brown sugar, to sprinkle
- Place the cold butter, flour, salt, nutmeg and sugar together in a food processor. Mix until you have a fine breadcrumb texture, do not overwork
- Add the egg and water mix well, using the pulse button. Do not overwork, or the pastry will shrink when cooked.
- Turn out of the processor and knead very gently to bring together.
- Flatten slightly (makes it easier to roll when chilled), wrap in cling film, then chill for about 20 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and grease patty tins.
- Mix the mincemeat with the zests and cinnamon.
- Roll out half the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of about 5mm and use a cutter to cut out pastry discs which will line the bases of the patty tins. Carefully line the moulds with the pastry, then spoon in enough mincemeat to fill nice and full.
- Brush a little beaten egg around the inside rim of the pastry. Cut out smaller circles from the remaining pastry to make lids for the pies, place on top of the mincemeat and pinch around the edges to seal. Lightly brush milk across the lids to glaze and sprinkle over a little brown sugar, then use a sharp knife to make a small hole in the centre.
- Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. Allow mince pies to cool before removing them from the tins.
- To enjoy at their best, follow my lead and serve with clotted cream and a glass of brandy!
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket