- 2 medium potatoes
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 aubergine, sliced lengthways
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 500 g lamb mince
- 6 tbsp tomato purée
- 10 g lamb or beef stock cube
- 300 ml warm milk
- 25 g very soft butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 4 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Simmer the potatoes, with their skins still on until tender, and a knife passes through them easily. Remove from the pan and leave to cool, then peel and slice into 10mm thick slices.
- Heat half the olive oil in a pan, add the aubergine slices and season well, then cook on both sides, so they take on a little colour.
- Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the rest of the oil and the onion, oregano and garlic to the pan and cook over low heat to soften.
- Then add the mince and stock cube, break up and cook until you have a little colour.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk to a simmer.
- Mix together the soft butter and flour really well.
- Add 3-400mls of cold water to the mince and add the tomato puree, then cook until you have a nice thick stew consistency, about 15-20 minutes.
- Whisk the butter and flour mixture into the simmering milk. It will thicken pretty much straight away. Remove from the heat and season well with salt and pepper.
To assemble the moussaka
- You will need a 20 x 25 a 5cm deep baking dish. Spoon half the mince into the bottom of the dish, then top with the tomatoes.
- Add the rest of the mince, then top with the aubergines, press down well, then add the potatoes, press down well again.
- Finally, pour over the sauce and pop into the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until well browned and heated through.
- Leave for 15 minutes to cool slightly before eating, or it will be too hot.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket