- 1lb loaf tim
- 225 g butter or cake margarine, soft
- 225 g golden caster sugar
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp baking powder
- juice and zest 4 large lemons
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan gas 4.
- Beat the butter or margarine until fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs one at a time, making sure you beat well.
- Add 2 tbsp lemon juice and the zest from all the lemons
- Gently beat in the sieved flour and baking powder.
- Divide between the 2 lined tins.
- Bake until firm to the touch and with a nice colour, round 35-40 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the remainder of the lemon juice with the granulated sugar and boil until dissolved and a little syrupy, about 10 minutes.
- Pour over the cakes evenly and leave to cool completely.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
This recipe makes 2 x 1lb loaf cake.