Cheeseburger chowder is a hearty soup made with minced beef, onion and cheese, creating a flavourful and filling meal. Perfect for cold winter nights or any time you're craving a comforting bowl of soup. Adding lettuce, tomato, and gherkins completes the cheeseburger theme. The sesame bun is the final touch and is great for dipping. Cheeseburger chowder is a delicious and satisfying dish that's easy to make and sure to please the whole family.
- 450 g 20% fat beef mince
- 2 tbsp any oil
- 2 tbsp Bovril
- 50 mls water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 250 mls water, roughly
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped gherkins
- 4 slices plastic cheese
- 4 sesame burger buns
- Yellow mustard
- Place the mince, oil, Bovril, water and onion into a thick-bottomed saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring well until all the water has evaporated and the mince browns well in its own fat. It is really vital to achieve the char-grilled taste and texture, and the Bovril helps.
- Once cooked, tip into a colander and drain off the excess oil.
- Place back in the pan, add the 250ml water and bring to a simmer. Taste and season well with salt and ground pepper, and scrape off all the lovely brown pieces from the bottom of the pan.
- Mix the flour with a bit of cold water and stir into the simmering beef mix. It will pretty much thicken immediately; you want a chowder-style consistency, not too thick or too thin. Keep warm.
- To serve, spoon the beef mix into four deep bowls.
- Then, top each bowl with lettuce, tomatoes, gherkins, and a slice of cheese, and press down slightly.
- Cover the bowl with a toasted sesame bun top and serve with American-style yellow mustard.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket