For the Pickled Onions
- ½ small red onion, very thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
For the Steaks
- 450 g Ribeye, or sirloin steaks, 2 x 1cm - 1.5cm thick steaks
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp Bovril
- 2 pinches salt & pepper to season the steak
- 2 tbsp oil
For the Baguette
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 long, crisp baguettes
- 4 sprigs of watercress
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthways
- Place the onions, vinegar and sugar into a bowl and leave for 20 minutes.
- If your steak is from a vac-pac, dry really well on kitchen paper.
- Season the steak with a little ground pepper, and add a thin layer of Bovril and dusting of salt.
- Dust with a little cornflour on both sides.
- Heat the oil and season the steaks well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil, add the steaks and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip over and cook for a further 1 minute, then rest depending on how you like your steak cooked.
- Meanwhile, mix the mayo and mustard together really well.
- Spread the mayo in the baguette on both cut sides.
- Add the steak and top with the watercress, sliced tomatoes and pickled onions.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket