This is an absolute classic dish and well worth going the extra mile for the right cheeses.
- 80 g Caerphilly cheese, finely grated
- 80 g Cornish Quartz Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 tsp English mustard powder, (level)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp hoppy beer, such as Spitfire
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp laverbread butter
- 2 slices laverbread bread, sliced and toasted on one side
- Pre heat a grill to medium heat.
- Place the cheeses, mustard powder, pepper, beer, Worcestershire sauce and egg yolks into a bowl and mix well.
- Lightly spread a little laverbread butter over the uncooked side of the toast.
- Pile onto the uncooked side of the toast in the centre, and then spread out the mix to the edges, keeping the centre slightly domed.
- Repeat with the second slice, then place both on a baking tray.
- Place the tray on the middle shelf of the grill and start to cook.
- Once the top is starting to lightly brown, slide the tray onto the bottom of the grill and cook until all the cheese is glazed, smooth and perfect.
- Cool for 1 minute so the cheese and egg set slightly, then cut into triangles and serve.
- The centre of the dome should be soft and not overcooked.
- Top with a poached egg for a buck rarebit.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket