- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 700 g chestnut mushrooms, minced, not blitzed in a food processor
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500 mls water
- 400g g kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp Bovril
- 2 x 10g veg stock cubes
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 120 g cold butter, ½ cm small cubes
- 200 g strong cheddar, roughly grated
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 medium egg
- cold water to make a soft mix
- Preheat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Heat a large, heavy pan with the oil, add the onions, mushrooms, garlic and spices and cook until really dry and coloured (this is really important to get authentic flavour into the end dish.
- Add the flour and mix well to soak up the oil.
- Add water, beans, Bovril and stock cubes and mix well, so you have a light stew, then bring to the simmer.
- Meanwhile, make up the dumplings by mixing the flour, cubed butter, 100g of the cheese, salt, egg and enough water to make a soft dough.
- Roll into walnut-sized pieces and place on top of the simmering stew.
- Carefully place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes until the dumplings puff up, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese and return to the oven to cook for a further 15 minutes or until the dumpling are nicely glazed, and the chilli is nice and thick.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket