Try these soft Indian sweets scented with orange.
For the Sugar Syrup
- 375 g sugar
- 250 ml water
- 1 tsp orange essence
For the Jamun
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 200 g Carnation Squeezy Condensed Milk
- ghee or ground nut oil to fry
- a sprinkling of toasted desiccated coconut
- Make a thin syrup by boiling the sugar and water together for a few minutes, cool, then stir in the orange essence.
- Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl and stir in enough condensed milk to form a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into small sausages approximately 2cm in length, then fry gently in a pan of hot oil.
- You should aim to cook 3-4 jamun at a time as they expand during cooking. Do not allow the oil to overheat as it will cook too quickly on the outside but not be cooked through in the middle.
- Do not allow the oil to overheat as the Jamun will cook too quickly on the outside but not be cooked through in the middle.
- Drain the jamun on kitchen paper, then place it into the orange syrup. Serve hot or cold with toasted coconut to finish.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket