This is a very simple soup but nevertheless with an extremely powerful flavour.
- 6 large fresh opened oysters, plus all their natural juice
- 250 g natural smoked haddock
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped finely
- 0.5 clove garlic finely crushed
- 300 ml fish stock, strong but not salty
- 3 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 55 g warm cooked pearl barley
- 300 whipping cream
- Place the fish stock into a saucepan, add the garlic and shallots and reduce by 3/4s over a rapid boil.
- Remember, the further you reduce the stock at this point, the deeper the finished flavour will be.
- Once cooked, add the smoked haddock fillet, remove it from the stove and cover. Leave to cool.
- When cold, remove the haddock fillet and flake into nice sized pieces.
- Strain the thick stock to remove any bits and bobs.
- Place the stock into a clean saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the cream and reboil.
- Place 4 of the oysters plus about half their juice into a liquidiser and blitz until smooth.
- Pour on the hot fish and cream soup, liquidise again till smooth.
- Pour into the saucepan and add the flaked haddock. Keep warm but do not boil. The soup will have thickened dramatically.
- Taste and add a little more oyster juice if required.
- Place an oyster in each warm bowl sprinkle on the barley and chives.
- Pour the hot soup into the bowls and serve straight away.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket