This is a delicious and easy roast recipe that won't let you down on the big day! My method is different from traditional methods and has a unique set of steps for preparation and cooking. If you follow these simple steps closely, you will get a perfectly cooked succulent turkey in just a couple of hours.
- 5 kg Bronze turkey, with giblets and the wish bone removed
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 large onion, peeled
- 6 sticks of celery
- 1 leek
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken stock cubes, (optionally Gluten-Free stock cubes)
- 375 ml dry white wine
- 2 tbsp cold water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 55 g melted butter
- 2 tbsp cornflour, roughly
- 4 tbsp cold water
- Preheat the oven to Gas 6 / 400F / 200C / 180C Fan
- The first job is to remove the giblets from the bird, and if you are using a frozen bird, make sure that it is fully defrosted.
- Season the bird well inside and out well with salt and pepper and pack the stuffing into the body cavity. (some suggested recipes at the bottom of this page)
- Tie the legs and the Parson's nose together with a piece of string and secure well so the stuffing is held inside the bird.
- Chop all the vegetables into large chunks and place them in the bottom of a large baking tray place the turkey on top. The tray should be large enough, so the bird has at least 2 inches (5cm) gap all around.
- Pour in the white wine, cold water and chicken stock cube, and place the whole tray onto the stove.
- Bring to the boil, cover tightly with two layers of foil, and pop into a preheated oven.THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT; Simmer for 5 minutes, covered to get the steam and heat going! Cook the bird for about 2 hours approximately. (See table below for your turkey size)
- Cook the bird for about 2 hours approximately.
- To check if the bird is cooked, remove it from the oven carefully as there will be a lot of stock, wine and turkey juices.
- Remove the foil and insert a knife where the thigh attaches itself to the body of the bird. The juices should run clear. If not, then cover again with foil and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- When the bird is cooked, remove it from the oven, turn the oven up to Gas 8 / 450F / 230C / 210C Fan.
- Pour off the juices for the gravy, then brush the bird well with melted butter or oil and return to the oven to brown beautifully (See table below for your turkey size).
- Once browned, remove from oven and wrap in a double layer of foil, then 2 clean tea towels. This should keep warm for up to 1 hour.
- Reboil the stock and juices. You may need to add a little more water in a saucepan and skim well.
- Mix the cornflour and water and thicken the bubbling stock, don't go mad.
- Carve the bird the flesh will be soft and juicy, and serve the gravy and stuffing separately.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket
(See turkey size table for your turkey cooking times)