That succulant taste of southern fried chicken is pretty hard to beat.
- 200 buttermilk or natural yoghurt
- 8 medium chicken thighs, bone in and skin off
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 225 g plain flour
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 175 ml cold water
- sunflower or safflower oil, to fry
- 2 hours before, place the thighs in the buttermilk or yoghurt, cover and chill well.
- Preheat the oven to 220C gas 6.
- Place the oregano, thyme, pepper, flour and salt into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Whisk the eggs together with the water.
- Toss the chicken thighs into the flour and spice mixture to lightly dust, remove from the flour and place on one side.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, shake off any excess, then put it back into the flour mixture to coat. It's best to do this stage one piece at a time. Otherwise, you'll get very messy!!
- Heat a pan of vegetable oil about 2cm deep to about 175C, or when a piece of bread browns within 30 seconds when popped in.
- Add 4 chicken thighs and fry for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown - the oil should only come just halfway up the sides of the chicken.
- Place a wire rack onto a baking tray, then place the browned chicken on the wire rack.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- The smell will be really tempting, but try to resist because they'll burn your mouth if you eat them straight away.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket