- 8 large chicken thighs, bone in and skin off
- 220 buttermilk or natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp table salt, level
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, level
- 225 g plain flour
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 150 ml cold water, approx.
- sunflower or safflower oil, to fry
- Place the chicken legs into a bowl and add the buttermilk or yogurt and salt and mix well, leave 1 hour best overnight if you can.
- Preheat the oven to 220C gas 6. Place the oregano, thyme, cumin, peppers and flour into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Whisk the eggs together with the water.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the buttermilk and wipe off the excess.
- Place the leftover buttermilk into eggs and water and whisk well.
- Dip each thigh into the flour and spice mixture to lightly dust, remove from the flour and place on one side.
- Then dip each piece of floured chicken in the egg mixture shake off any excess.
- Dip the chicken back into the flour mixture to coat.
- This stage is better to do one piece at a time. Otherwise, you will get very messy!!
- Add 2-3cm of vegetable oil to a deep pan. Heat until it reaches approx 175c, or when a piece of bread is dropped into the oil browns in 30seconds. The oil should only come just halfway up the sides of the chicken
- Add 4 chicken thighs to the oil and fry for 4-5 minutes. Carefully turn over and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Place a wire rack onto a baking tray, then place the browned chicken on the wire rack.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- The smell will be really tempting, but try to resist because they will burn your mouth if you eat them straight away!
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket