Totally indulgent treats, perfect for bonfire night.
- 1 small can pineapple rings drained (Del Monte), cut into quarters
- 1 lemon , finely grated zest
For the Sauce
- 300 ml cold water
- 100 g good quality cocoa powder
- 120 g caster sugar
- 40 g cold salted butter, cubed
For the Batter
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 425 ml fizzy water, approx
- 0.5 tsp ground allspice
- caster sugar, to sprinkle
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- allspice for dusting
- Place the pineapple wedges into a bowl, sprinkle over the lemon zest.
- For the chocolate sauce place, the water into a pan, add the cocoa powder and sugar, whisk to the boil
- Simmer for 2 minutes, then take off the heat and whisk in the butter until dissolved. Strain through a sieve and keep warm.
- Place the flour in a large bowl, and then whisk in enough fizzy water to make a thick batter (about the same consistency as Yorkshire pudding batter).
- Mix in the allspice and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Pat the pineapple dry on kitchen paper, then dust with a little cornflour.
- Dip in the batter to coat.
- Gently fry in shallow oil 180C, until crisp and lightly browned.
- Cooking in batches, drop the pineapple carefully into the hot oil and cook until golden and crispy.
- Drain well on kitchen paper and sprinkle with caster sugar and allspice.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket