Mouthwatering and succulent is all there is to say. Well worth the effort.
- 1.5 kg shoulder of pork deboned and skinned
- 2 glasses apple juice
For the rub
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 4 tsp soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp dried garlic powder
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 1 tsp freshly milled black pepper
- 0.5 tsp sea salt to taste
for the barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 4 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200C gas 6.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together well. Rub 3/4 of the rub all over the pork shoulder and chill well for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- When ready into a baking tray and re-rub any mix over the joint.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes to start to brown. Once browned, lightly remove the tray from the oven and turn it down to 180G gas 4.
- Bring the apple juice to a boil and pour it around the joint. Seal really well with foil.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 2 hours 30 minutes or slightly longer, or until a fork passes through easily, do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, make the barbecue sauce by combining all the ingredients and heating gently for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the pork is cooked, remove and cool slightly. Add any juices to the bbq sauce and pull the meat apart into long strands.
- Place into a bowl, dust well with the last 1/4 of the rub and mix well.
- Add enough sauce just to coat the meat, and serve in seeded buns.
- Serve with coleslaw and more sauce.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket