This recipe is amazing for bringing out the flavour of the pork. Marinating in a simple brine for a few minutes can make all the difference to pork, chicken, and turkey succulence. Serve with a few new potatoes and green beans.
For the Pork
- 840 g (6 x 140g) pork chops, rind scored in 1cm slices
- oil, for brushing
For the Brine
- 30 g caster sugar
- 15 g salt
For the Butternut Relish
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 450 g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly cubed
- 125 ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 175 g light brown muscovado sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Glaze
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- new potatoes and green beans to serve
To make the Relish
- First, prepare the relish. Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the caraway seeds, cloves, onions, garlic and ginger and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the squash, both kinds of vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sugar, stir and season well. Cover and cook slowly until the squash is tender. This should take about 10 minutes. Then remove the lid and cook until pulpy and thick, about 10 minutes.
To Make the Brine
- To make the brine, place the sugar, salt and 300ml cold water in a small pan and heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour into a measuring jug and top up to 350ml with cold water.
- Pour into a measuring jug and top up to 350ml with cold water.
- Place the chops in a single layer in a non-metallic dish and pour the brine over. Leave to marinate for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium, and brush the chops with a little oil on both sides.
- Combine the maple syrup and olive oil to make the glaze.
- Grill the chops for 5 - 6 minutes on each side, then, when just cooked, finally brush with the maple syrup and olive oil mixture. Return to the grill for 1 to 2 minutes, taking care as they will catch very easily.
- Serve with the relish.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket