For the Meringue
- 5 medium egg white, (200g) room temperature
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 400 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 250 g blueberries
- 250 g frozen raspberries, defrosted with juice
- 70 g raspberry jam, let down with the raspberry juice from defrost
- finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 850 ml double cream, very lightly whipped
- Pre heat the oven to 120 C, Gas 1/2.
- Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl and whisk until light and foamy.
- Add half the sugar and whisk well on 3/4 speed, then finally add the rest of the sugar, whisking until very glossy.
- Remove the bowl from the machine, fold in the cornflour, vanilla, and vinegar, and then mix well.
- Mark using a dinner or side plate, mark a 24cm circle on the parchment or paper, roughly.
- Spoon the meringue into the centre of the circle and, using a palette knife or the back of a large spoon, carefully spread to the edge of the circle.
- Keep the sides nice and high (remember this will eventually hold a lot of filling and cream) whilst creating an indentation in the centre. It sounds more difficult than it actually is, I promise.
- When you are happy, place the tray in the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes, approx.
- You will find the meringue will expand quite a lot, slightly colour and will crack. This is normal.
- After the hour check, the Pavlova is cooked. It should be firm to the touch, yet if squeezed lightly, it will crack. This will ensure a soft marshmallowy inside, essential for a good Pavlova. Finally, turn the oven off and leave the Pavlova to cool all night in the oven.
- Carefully remove the meringue from the paper and place it in the centre of a large serving plate.
- Fold the raspberries, blueberries, jam and juice, lemon zest into the very lightly whipped cream, do not over mix.
- Spoon straight away into the pavlova.
- Dust with icing sugar and chill for 30 minutes, then serve with raspberry sauce.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket