- 50 ml tarragon vinegar
- 50 ml white wine, or water
- 1 tsp crushed white peppercorns
- 4 tbsp tarragon stalks, chopped
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ lemon
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- 4 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the vinegar and wine or water in a pan with the peppercorns and stalks, bring to a boil and simmer rapidly until the liquid has reduced by half to 50ml.
- Strain out the peppercorns and stalks, return the liquid to the pan and bring it back to the boil.
- Meanwhile, gently melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the reduced liquid and bring to a rolling boil.
- Place the egg yolks in a liquidiser and blitz, then gradually add the vinegar and butter mixture into the liquidiser in a thins stream through the lid.
- Pour sauce into a bowl and leave for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally and hey presto, thick cooked bearnaise sauce.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning, adding a squeeze of lemon juice, pinch of sugar if necessary and the chopped tarragon. Keep warm
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket