This incredible tart looks like one of the most indulgent desserts going. But with double cream being replaced by fromage frais and sugar with the natural alternative Total Sweet Xylitol, along with some other healthy twists, appearances and taste can be deceiving!
For the Tart
- 350 g shortcrust pastry, ready rolled
- 700 ml skimmed milk
- 80 g cocoa powder, sieved
- 100 g Total Sweet Xylitol
- 0.5 tsp vanilla essence
- 50 g high cacao chocolate, with a lower sugar content (try Lindt Noir, 90%)
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 15 g Total Sweet Xylitol
- 15 g custard powder
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- finely grated zest of 2 large oranges
- 4 sheets (7g) leaf gelatine
- cold water
- 250 g fromage frais
- Total Sweet Xylitol to taste
- 10 g high cacao chocolate
For the sauce
- 225 g fresh raspberries or good quality frozen
- 100 g Total Sweet Xylitol (this is an approximate as some raspberries are sweeter than others)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- a little cold water if needed
For the Tart
- Roll out the pastry and line a 23cm, 9 inch loose bottomed tin, then chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake pastry at 200C, 180C fan, gas mark 6 for approx. 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush with beaten egg and return to the oven to set for 5 minutes, remove and cool.
- Warm the milk and just before boiling, whisk in the cocoa powder, Total Sweet, vanilla and chopped chocolate.
- Whisk the egg yolks and custard powder in a small bowl for 2 minutes.
- Pour over the chocolate milk mixture, and whisk well it will thicken quite quickly.
- Whisk in the soaked gelatine until dissolved and finally the orange and lemon zests.
- Pour into the cooked pastry base, cool slightly and chill for 2 hours, best overnight.
- Lightly beat the fromage frais and add the Total Sweet to taste, then spoon on top of the tart.
- Cut into wedges, and serve with raspberry sauce. See below.
For the Sauce
- Place the raspberries in a liquidiser along with the Total Sweet and lemon juice.
- Blitz until smooth; you may need to add a touch of cold water to let the sauce down if it's too thick.
- Pass through a fine sieve and chill well.
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket