Great vegetable braise full of flavour, colour and texture. A meat version can be made by adding sautéd turkey.
- 2 tbsp any oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 400 g can chickpeas drained well
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp any vinegar
- 10 g vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 2 medium potatoes, 2cm cubes roughly no need to peel
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped into 4cm pieces
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, heaped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 200 g sour cream or thick yoghurt
- 6 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
For the non-vegetarian version
- 0.5 egg white
- 2 tbsp cornflour, arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g turkey breast, sliced into 2cm strips
- 2 tbsp any oil
- Heat the oil, add the onions, garlic and cumin seeds. Cook or 3 to 4 minutes to take a little colour and soften slightly
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, sugar, vinegar, stock cube, potatoes and squash, stir well.
- Add enough water; only just cover all the tomato and potato mix.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, bearing in mind the stock cubes can be quite salty; you can adjust later.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and gently simmer until the potatoes are cooked, probably be about 20 minutes.
For the meat version
- whisk the egg white, arrowroot, salt, pepper and olive oil together well.
- Add the sliced turkey and really mix well.
- Once the potatoes are soft, heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Add the turkey in small amounts, making sure they are not stuck together and sauté briskly to seal well and are half cooked.
- Remove and repeat with all the turkey.
- Once the turkey is all cooked, stir into the hot tomato braise and leave for 10 minutes to cook through, do not overcook.
- Serve with sour cream, lots of chopped spring onions, a little more smoked paprika and lots of chopped parsley.
- I sometimes top the veggie option with a poached egg!
Add ingredients from Vickery TV straight to your favourite online supermarket